Participate as a group, family or individual. The John Muir Award can complement what you already do, or be used as a starting point for new activity.
It’s open to all who can understand and meet the Award Criteria. It is ideally suited for those participants working at later stage of primary education and beyond. Adults are welcome to get involved too – on their own, in groups, or alongside younger participants. We have created a Family Award that welcomes involvement as a family unit and can include all ages and abilities.
If you are unsure about suitability for you or your group, click here for guidance.
Groups and organisations that successfully deliver the John Muir Award become 'Providers'. Find out more here.
How to get involved
For detailed guidance on this process, see the Information Handbook.
For an overview of Award criteria and levels click here.
- Plan your activities and fill in a Proposal Form. Send it to us here(firstname.lastname@example.org) and keep a copy yourself. We'll discuss this with you, agree it and register your interest. Use it for Discovery, Explorer and Conserver level. Send a copy of your Proposal Form at least 2 weeks before the start of your activity.
- Get outside and get active!
- Review your activity and send us a Certificate Request Form as your activity is coming to an end. You'll be contacted to discuss and confirm this.
- Celebrate, and present your Awards.
Organisations, groups and individuals get involved in a variety of ways:
- Schools & Colleges - supporting curriculum outcomes and extra-curricular activities
- Outdoor Centres - supporting outdoor adventure, learning and education
- Youth Sector - supporting many aspects of youth work
- Adult Groups - supporting community learning, development programmes and volunteering
- Family Support - engaging and supporting families
- Self-guided Individuals and families - take part on their own, with a group of friends or as a family
The John Muir Award is increasing in its popularity and we are currently inundated with inspiring proposal forms. However, so we can continue to provide a high quality service we are currently focussing on Award activity within the UK countries only and won’t be able to accept any more international proposals at this time. If you are a group/family/individual situated outside of the UK we hope you are not too disappointed and please check back later this year in case our situation changes. Many thanks for your understanding.